Monday, January 20, 2014

Still Life by Haylee White


First, I treated the canvas with gesso which helps the canvas to not soak up the paint as much. Then, I made a pallet with a cardboard slab and freezer paper (shiny side up). Lastly, I toned the canvas with burnt sienna.



In this picture, I started drawing just the outlines of the figures in the still life. This allowed me to adjust my placement and fix proportions if necessary. 
After I got done drawing the outlines of the objects and placing them correctly, I started filling in more detail still using the burnt sienna paint.
In this picture, I started filling in just the basic colors of the objects to get a feel of what the colors will look like together.
The next step was to fill in specific things with more detail. I did not put too much detail on the picture of the cowboy and horses in the back, because I did not want them to be the center focus of the painting. If I were to add too much detail to them, then it would take away from the center viewpoint.
This is a close up on the vase of flowers once I added detail. First I started with dark stems and then worked my way to the light stems.

No comments:

Post a Comment